The Laurel County Public Library grew from the initial circulating library formed by the Ladies of the First Christian Church in 1916. These women were active throughout the community and after several years of dedicated work, built a library in 1932.

The building was located on 4th Street in London and was staffed by volunteers from the London Woman’s Club.

Mrs. Elizabeth Hardin Catching was the first president of the library organization. One of her more notable contributions to the library was spearheading the efforts to expand the library.

The Laurel County Library Association was formed in the 1940’s. The association hired Laurel County’s first librarian, Clo Era Sewell, in 1952.

Circulation of materials jumped to over 1,000 items for the year. Miss Sewell was forward thinking enough to obtain a bookmobile for Laurel County in 1953.

A library addition was constructed in the early sixties. In 1964 library supporters petitioned for a library district and were successful in this campaign. The library would now receive its own percentage of property tax in the county and have adequate funding to hire additional staff and purchase materials.

Children in Laurel County enjoyed the many programs conducted by the library throughout the years. The organization continued to be a source of pride for the community as the facility and collection grew.

Computers were installed in the library in 1986, and by 1994 the library was automated. One terminal was assigned for Internet access in 1996.

A successful campaign for additional library funding was conducted in 2000. After suffering for many years from a lack of space, the library opened a new 25,000 square foot building in 2003, a project that went on to win the “Build Kentucky” award in 2004.

The new library was immediately embraced by Laurel Countians, resulting in large increases in attendance and circulation of items. The growth continued over the next decade, prompting the Board of Trustees to research and approve a library expansion project to add more space to the existing library.

The new library was immediately embraced by Laurel Countians, resulting in large increases in attendance and circulation of items. The growth continued over the next decade, prompting the Board of Trustees to research and approve a library expansion project to add more space to the existing library.

Throughout late 2014 and 2015, work commenced. The project renovated the existing space and added over 16,000 square feet to the original building, making the final building size 41,650 square feet. The project was completed in early 2016.

Some of the results of the expansion project were additional book stacks, a children’s area that nearly doubled in size, a gallery/exhibit area, and an expanded local history room. The highlight of the project was a multipurpose auditorium area for offering large-scale programs such as musical and theater performances, art shows, movie screenings, and summer reading activities.

As of March 2017, the library’s collection consists of nearly 160,000 printed, audiovisual, and downloadable items. An average of 65 programs are presented for adults, teens, and children every month.

An average of 13,500 people visit the library each month and about 30,000 items are circulated monthly. On average, 2,900 people use the library’s 40 public computer terminals and wireless access monthly. 

The Laurel County Public Library continues to benefit from a dedicated board, a caring staff, and a supportive community. The Library remains committed to growing and evolving to meet the ever-changing needs of the community.

Menu
Copy link